Toyota has a BIG goal. A world without accidents.
Yes, this is a big challenge. But, it’s a challenge that Toyota is willing to accept. Toyota Safety Sense is the beginning of the solution.
Take the guesswork out of backing in and backing up. Using backup cameras with guidelines, Rear Cross Traffic Alert* system that warns of approaching vehicles when backing up, and Intelligent Parking Assist that can park a vehicle virtually unassisted.
Blind Spot Monitor** alerts you when vehicles are in your blind spot. Lane Departure Alert helps keep you in your lane with audio and visual alerts. Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist uses steering inputs to help keep you in your lane. Traction Control limits wheel spin when travelling in a straight line. Vehicle Stability Control helps maintain control on slippery surfaces by reducing engine power and applying necessary brake force automatically. Anti-lock Brakes prevent wheel lock during a sudden stops. Electronic Brakeforce Distribution enhances stability while braking, while Brake Assist detects sudden braking and adds full pressure to prevent a collision. Further technologies, like Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management, can anticipate your intentions and activate a variety of safety systems to ensure the highest possible level of vehicle control and stability.
Sometimes accidents are unavoidable. We’ve developed technologies that can predict the likelihood of a collision and take steps to reduce damage and injury, and in some situations, help avoid an accident altogether. Between certain speeds, Pre-Collision System*** warns when an obstacle is detected by radar, then automatically apply brakes to reduce the severity of impact and tighten seatbelts to help protect occupants.
From airbags to seatbelts to impact-absorbing body structures that channel impact energy away from the cabin, Toyota vehicles are loaded with passive safety measures. We’ve even specially designed our headrests and driver and front passenger seats to help reduce impact effects such as whiplash.
Toyota Safety SenseTM 1
Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) is standard on virtually all Toyota models.
Crash protection starts with crash prevention. Packaged together in an integrated system, helps address three key areas of accident protection: preventing or mitigating frontal collisions, keeping drivers within their lane, and enhancing road safety during night-time driving.
TSS 2.0 builds on TSS P and consists of six active safety and driver assistance systems.
- Pre-Collision System with Daytime/Low-Light Vehicle and Pedestrian Detection, plus Daytime Bicycle Detection3
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and Road Edge Detection (LDA)5
- Automatic High Beam (AHB)6
- Lane Trace Assist8
- Full Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)7
- TSS 2.0 is currently available on:
- 2019 and 2020 Corolla Hatchback
- 2019 AND 2020 RAV4 & RAV4 Hybrid
- 2020 Corolla & Corolla Hybrid
- 2020 Highlander & Highlander Hybrid
- Coming soon on more 2020 MY models
TSS P consists of four active safety and driver assistance systems:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS)3
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA)4
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)5
- Automatic High Beam (AHB)6
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)7
TSS P is currently available on:
- 2017 – 2020 Avalon
- 2018 – 2020 C-HR
- 2018 – 2020 Camry & Camry Hybrid
- 2018 & 2019 Corolla
- 2018 & 2019 Highlander & Highlander Hybrid
- 2017 – 2020 Prius
- 2017 – 2020 Prius Prime
- 2018 Prius v
- 2017 & 2018 RAV4 & RAV4 Hybrid
- 2020 4Runner
- 2018 – 2020 Sequoia
- 2019 & 2020 Sienna
- 2018 – 2020 Tacoma
- 2018 – 2020 Tundra
Every Toyota comes with the Star Safety System.
At Toyota, we know that your peace of mind while driving is paramount. That’s why we were the first full line manufacturer to introduce our Star Safety SystemTM as standard equipment with its six advanced accident avoidance technologies – including ABS, Traction Control, Vehicle Stability Control and more.
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- Traction Control (TRAC)
- Smart Stop Technology